Turkish coffee has gained much popularity all over the world because of its rich and delicious taste. Because of the increase in demand, many coffee lovers want to try Turkish coffee.
However, most coffee lovers are not familiar with the process of making Turkish coffee. Due to this, they have to visit coffee shops to enjoy this delicious drink. Most coffee lovers want to make Turkish coffee at their homes but cannot do so because they do not know the correct steps.
So, if you also want to make Turkish coffee by yourself, this article is for you. Here, you will find all the essential ingredients and the process to prepare Turkish coffee at home.
What is Turkish Coffee?
Turkish coffee is thick with a delightful taste. It is prepared in a copper coffee pot using ground coffee. You will need to mix sugar with water in the cezve coffee pot.
As compared to other types of coffees, Turkish coffee has a sweetened taste. Most coffee lovers think that the coffee beans used in Turkish coffee are from Turkey, which is not true.
For the making of this coffee, you can also utilize Arabic coffee beans. You will need to finely ground the beans to attain the best taste.
This Turkish coffee has got its name because of the method used to make it. The brewing method of this Turkish coffee is quite different from many other types of coffee.
Ingredients Needed to Prepare Turkish Coffee
Following are the ingredients you will require to prepare Turkish coffee.
- Turkish coffee grounds
- Turkish coffee cups
- Copper coffee pot
- Granulated sugar
- Filtered water
How to Make Turkish Coffee at Home?
If you want to make Turkish coffee at home, you should first arrange coffee grounds, sugar, and cold filtered water. You will need to prepare two tablespoons of coffee ground and three cups of cold filtered water.
Unlike in a few other coffees, you should also use cold water to prepare Turkish coffee. Also, make sure that the water is filtered so that you get a healthy drink. Depending on the amount of coffee you want to prepare, you can add the desired quantity of water.
However, most coffee lovers usually get confused while adding water. You can use a coffee cup to measure the required amount of water or add 1½ “cup” of water to each cup.
Further, a heaping tablespoon of ground coffee will be enough while preparing it. If you want a sweeter coffee cup, you can also add some sugar to it. Remember to add the sugar in the beginning. After adding the sugar, stir it so that it gets mixed. Following is the Turkish coffee recipe.
- Put water, sugar, and coffee ground in a Turkish coffee pot.
- Mix the ingredients in the coffee pot and stir briefly with the help of a spoon, and put it on the stovetop.
- Mix the coffee mixture slowly and boil it on medium heat. Heat the coffee mixture for 3 to 4 minutes.
- After heating the coffee for a few minutes, you will notice the production of dark foam. Once the Turkish coffee gets closer to its boiling point, transfer the foam from the pot to the cups and keep the coffee pot on the stovetop.
- You can use a teaspoon to transfer the foam. Make sure to transfer only a small quantity of foam to the cup.
- After boiling the coffee, pour the coffee into the cup over the foam. Make sure only to pour half coffee into the cup.
- Now put the coffee pot back on the stovetop and start heating the remaining coffee for a few seconds. Make sure to heat the coffee for up to 15 to 20 seconds.
- Once you are done heating the remaining coffee, pour it into the coffee cup.
Now your Turkish coffee is ready. You will serve it with some Turkish delights.
How to Prepare Turkish Coffee Without Cezve?
When it comes to preparing Turkish coffee, the cezve is one of the essential items. It is a pot especially desired to make Turkish coffee. Many traditional cezves contain copper material, but some of the latest cezves also include ceramic and stainless-steel materials.
In some parts of the world, you will also find cezve with a glass body. As cezve is popularly used in the making of Turkish coffee, many people believe that it is not possible to make Turkish coffee without cezve, which is not true.
Even if you do not have cezve, do not worry because it is still possible to prepare a delicious cup of Turkish coffee even without cezve. Instead of cezve, you can use a small saucepan to get the desired outcome.
A saucepan will help you prepare the same high-quality Turkish coffee as you might have prepared in a cezve. However, make sure only to choose a saucepan with a small size because it will help you produce better foam. If you use a large saucepan, you might struggle to generate the amount of foam you want.
Further, if you do not want to work hard on making the coffee without cezve, then do not worry because you can prepare it with a Turkish coffee maker as well. There are many Turkish coffee makers available in the market that will let you make Turkish coffee easily and in a quicker way.
Tips to Produce High-Quality Turkish Coffee
Even after putting in a lot of effort, some coffee lovers still struggle to attain the best coffee. If you are also unable to attain the desired aroma, texture, and taste of your Turkish coffee, follow the given tips.
Most experts recommend purchasing coffee from the local coffee shop. The reason behind it is that you will get fresh coffee ground to help you produce the best beverage. Therefore, you can buy the coffee ground from the local shop if you want a better taste of your Turkish coffee.
Another thing that you should consider is the smell of the coffee. If the coffee ground smells good, it is a sign that it is of high quality. A fresh coffee ground has a strong smell that many people love to smell.
If there is no irresistible smell in your coffee ground, then the chances are that it is old. If you try to prepare your Turkish coffee with the old coffee ground, you will get a tasteless outcome. Therefore, you should be careful while choosing the coffee ground.
You may also like: 10 Best Whole Bean Coffee – A Guide to the Best in 2021
Another way by which you can know whether your coffee ground is fresh or not is by keeping it in your hand. If the ground pieces stick with one another, then the chances are that it is not fresh.
The fresh coffee does not stick with each other and is quite crumbly. Using fresh coffee will let you enjoy the type of coffee you want. Further, the aroma is another sign of fresh coffee. If you get a heavenly aroma while drinking the coffee, it indicates that the coffee is fresh.
On the other hand, if the coffee is stale, you will notice a watery taste indicating that the coffee is not of high quality. These tips will let you know whether your Turkish coffee is of higher quality or not.
How to Serve Turkish Coffee?
There are various methods to serve Turkish coffee. Most coffee lovers serve this drive with cold water. You can also use room temperature water for serving.
Most people take a sip of water before drinking Turkish coffee because, in such a way, they can clear their palate, which allows them to enjoy the best taste. Therefore, if you want your guests to experience the quality taste of coffee, then make sure to offer them water before it.
On the other hand, some people also like a sweet treat with coffee. You can provide candy, chocolate, or Turkish delights as a sweet treat serving. Both these servings will help you enjoy a cup of coffee more.
Furthermore, as compared to filtered coffee, Turkish coffee is denser. Due to its denser properties, some people might not be able to drink more than one cup.
Apart from this, a few people also add milk or cream to their coffee. Though most coffee lovers do not use milk or cream in their Turkish coffee, still, if you want, you can add them to experience a new flavor.
How to Get Thick Foam on Turkish Coffee?
There are different approaches that one can use to achieve thick foam on the top of their coffee. Here, I will let you know some simple steps to do it.
- After adding sugar, coffee ground, and water to the coffee pot, mix it quickly. Remember not to overmix it because you might not get the thick foam you want. The cezve coffee pot is relatively smaller than other types of coffee pots used for preparing coffee. Due to the smaller pot size, the ingredients might get mixed up themselves. Therefore, you might not need to mix it using a stirrer.
- After adding the first pour into the Turkish coffee cup, you can mix it without worrying about overmixing because, at that time, you will have already added the thick foamy part in the cup.
- While pouring it the second time, make sure to pour it slowly so that you do not end up breaking the foam.
These are the few approaches you can use to get thick foam on Turkish coffee.
How To Store Ground Coffee?
Ground coffee is one of the prime ingredients that will help you brew taste Turkish coffee. If you do not use the right ground coffee, you might not get the desired taste of Turkish coffee you want. Therefore, you should store the ground coffee the right way so that you attain the best taste.
Storing the ground coffee correctly will let you enjoy the same taste, texture, and aroma for a longer period. However, most coffee lovers do not know the right way to store ground coffee. If you also do not know how to store ground coffee the appropriate way, you should read the following tips.
- Make sure to keep the ground coffee in a cool place. Please keep it in a dry place that is away from the sunlight.
- Choose an airtight container to store the coffee ground. Other than the airtight container, you can also keep it in a glass jar. However, ensure that the lid of the glass jar is tight so that no air enters the jar.
- Avoid leaving the spoon in the container.
- You should also not keep the ground in an open package. The open package will allow the air to move in the coffee ground, which will make it get stale fast. If it is in an open package, make sure to store it in an airtight container.
The above are the few tips to keep in mind when you want to store the coffee.
Things to Do to Improve the Taste of Turkish Coffee
If you desire more foam, consistency, and better taste, you should focus on the following things.
- Use fresh, finely ground coffee: If the coffee ground you are using is not fresh, you will get a bland taste. Also, you will not generate better foam for your Turkish coffee with old ground coffee. If you want to keep your coffee fresh for an extended duration, then make sure to keep it in an airtight container after opening the pack.
- Use cold filtered water: Another thing that you should do to improve the Turkish coffee taste is by using cold filtered water. In many other types of coffee, we use warm water, but that is not the case with Turkish coffee. You will have to use cold filtered water for this type of coffee to get the best taste. After that, mix the cold filtered water, coffee, and sugar in the correct ratio in the pot. However, remember not to mix these ingredients fast. You can use a spoon for mixing gently.
- Cook on Lowest Heat: Many experts also recommend cooking Turkish coffee at the lowest heat. Once you notice that the coffee has risen, you should stir it 2 to 3 times. Once it gets boiled, remove the pot and add foam to the cup with the help of a teaspoon. After that, you should reheat the coffee to enhance the flavor. Make sure to pour it slowly so that the bubbles do not get damaged.
Can I Make Turkish Coffee with Milk?
Unlike other coffee, many people do not use milk in Turkish coffee. Turkish coffee comes with a strong aroma and taste, which can get affected after adding the milk. However, keep in mind that traditional Turkish coffee does not have milk in it.
But it is up to you whether you want to use milk in Turkish coffee or not. Therefore, if you want to enjoy a mild taste, you can add milk to it; otherwise, you will avoid using it.
Is Turkish Coffee Good for Health?
Many people prefer coffee to start their day. Many people drink coffee because they believe it can help them boost their energy levels throughout the day. If you are not familiar with Turkish coffee, then you might want to know whether it is beneficial for your health or not.
The first benefit of Turkish coffee is that it will enhance your athletic performance. It also contains a high quantity of caffeine which also enhances mental performance. A study has also shown that people who drink Turkish coffee have enhanced better reaction time and energy levels.
Moreover, Turkish coffee also contains various beneficial compounds. It uses traditional coffee beans that include chlorogenic acid and other useful ingredients. Chlorogenic acid is a polyphenol antioxidant that offers many health benefits.
Some health benefits that you will get due to chlorogenic acid are boosting inflammation and improving cholesterol levels. Not only this, but also it will protect you against mental decline.
The caffeine of Turkish coffee boosts brain functionality and protects it from various neurological conditions. Another study has shown that consuming Turkish coffee can also minimize the risk of stroke.
However, make sure not to consume Turkish coffee in high quantity. Not only Turkish coffee but also the overdose of even potent ingredients can make it harmful for health.
Turkish coffee is ideal for those coffee lovers who want a thick foam coffee with a delightful taste. The special thing about Turkish coffee is that it is prepared in a cezve, a long-handled pot.
The taste of Turkish coffee is a bit different from many other types of coffee available. If you also desire to prepare and drink Turkish coffee at your home, then you should go through this article.
Here, we have explained multiple approaches about how to prepare Turkish coffee with ease. Apart from this, you will also learn about the tips to boost the taste of your coffee via this article.